Colour Switcher:

Font Resizer:

Who should I contact to report ASB?

If a crime is in progress, when there is danger to life or when violence is being used or threatened call 999.There are many other types of Anti Social Behaviour (ASB) which, while not requiring an immediate police presence, definitely need taking seriously and need sorting out.We all want ASB problems to be resolved as quickly as possible. This page will help make sure you get to talk to the right people about the problem.Below is a list of common ASB issues and who to contact. Click on the links to find out how to contact the right organisation.NCHA has three priority categories depending on how urgently a response is needed.

Growing and dealing drugs 

Ring the police

Report to NCHA

Hate crimes (including racial harassment)

Ring the police

Report to NCHA 


Ring the police 

Report to NCHA

Domestic violence 

See section on Domestic Violence

Children at risk

Police or Social Services

Report to NCHA 

Any other significant criminal behaviour


Report to NCHA


The maximum time for a first response to a Category A case is 3 working days.

All hate crimes are classed as Category A and will be responded to within one working day rather than the three days for other Category A cases. 


Instances of persistent noise nuisance
See section on Noise 

Neighbour disputes 
See section on Neighbour Disputes 

Intimidating behaviour 
Report to police 
Report to NCHA

Children creating a nuisance
Report to NCHA

The maximum time for a first response to a Category B case is 7 working days.

Untidy gardens 
Report to NCHA if it is an NCHA property. 

Dumping of rubbish
Report to NCHA if rubbish is on land that belongs to NCHA.
Report to Environmental Health if it is on public land, the road or path. 

Complaints about dogs, pets or noisy animals 
See section on Animal Issues 

Minor / occasional noise nuisance 
See section on Noise 

Abandoned vehicles
Report to 
Environmental Health if on public property, the pavement or road.
report to NCHA if they are on land privately owned by NCHA such as car parks. 

Graffiti (racist graffiti will be removed within 24 hours)
On an NCHA property or building,
report to NCHA.
In a public place report to
Environmental Health.

The maximum time for a first response to a Category C case is 10 working days. 

There are two main contact numbers for the Police.

999 is for emergencies where you need assistance immediately. For instance, if a crime is currently in progress, there is danger to life or violence is currently being used or threatened.

101 is for non-emergencies, for example - your property has been broken in to (but the burglar is no longer there), property damage and nuisance behaviour. gives more details about what this number is and who will answer your call.
If you are in immediate danger, phone the police on 999.

If you are an NCHA tenant, phone your Estate Officer, who will be able to give you advice on your housing situation. There are a range of options from making your current home more secure, to helping you find a new place to live.

The Womens Aid Nottingham site have very good information that applies to any one in any area about what to do in an emergency and how you can prepare if you are thinking about leaving.

Further contacts and information:
  • Women’s Aid 24-hour National Domestic Violence helpline 0800 2000247. for A-Z of local support groups
  • for support and advice, literature and articles
  • Men's Advice Line and Enquiries, support for men suffering Domestic Violence and Abuse 0808 8010327
  • Website offering information and support for young people on Domestic Violence and other related issues in Nottinghamshire
  • Mankind Initiative: 01823 334244 Support for male victims of Domestic Violence and Abuse
  • Honour Network: 0800 599 247 a confidential helpline providing emotional and practical support and advice of forced marriage and /or honour based violence and abuse
  • 0300 999 5428 Broken Rainbow Support for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) people experiencing Domestic Violence

The Women's Aid Nottingham site has advice on using computers safely and covering your tracks, if necessary. You may want to use a computer in a library or at a friend's house.

The Environmental Health Department of your Local Authority deals with a wide range of issues including: rubbish dumped in public areas, noise nuisance, pest control and stray dogs.

You can find the contact details for your Local Authority through the Direct Gov website. Then ring their main number and ask for Environmental Health, or use their website to find information about their Enviornmetnal Health department and its services.
Unfortunately, sometimes, relations with neighbours become strained or break down completely. This can be due to a one-off incident, a series of incidents, or for no reason at all.

NCHA can help. If you have a problem with a neighbour and are unable to approach them to resolve it, are afraid to, or think it would be not be a good idea then contact NCHA or your Estate Officer directly.

One solution that sometimes works is mediation. A third party works between you and your neighbour to try and work towards a solution you are both happy with. This approach can take the pressure off trying to speak to a neighbour directly and can lead to both sides being able to live peacefully again. Ask your Estate Officer if you think mediation could help.

You can find more information on this subject in our Resolving Neighbour Disputes booklet.

One off incident of loud noise at an NCHA property (e.g. a party, argument, use of tools or machines) 

If the nuisance is unreasonable and the situation appears to be out of hand, call the police on 101 who (if they have the resources available) may respond with a visit to the property and advise tenants about noise nuisance. They will also record the incident.

Also, report to NCHA

One off incident of loud noise at a property that is not owned or managed by NCHA

If the nuisance is unreasonable and the situation appears to be out of hand, call the police.

Repeated noise nuisance happening in an NCHA property (e.g. use of tools and machines, dogs barking, cars being used in an unreasonable way, shouting and raised voices)

Report to NCHAEnvironmental Health and the Police.


Repeated noise nuisance at a property that is not owned or managed by NCHA

Report to the police.


Contact the Enviornmental Health Department of your Local Authority.

You can find the contact details for your Local Council through the Direct Gov website.

You will need to speak to Childrens and Young People's Services if the issue is about suspected abuse of a child. You will need to speak to Adult Social Services if you are concerned about abuse of an older person..
Mistreatment or cruelty to animals

If you have seen an animal being mistreated or abused, report it to the RSPCA. You can phone their 24 hour number 0300 1234 999. Please read the RSPCA's checklist of questions they will ask you.

If the owner is an NCHA tenant then please also contact NCHA to let us know.

Dangerous animals

Under the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991 there are four types of dog which it is illegal to own in Britain; these are the Pit Bull Terrier, the Japanese tosa, the Dogo Argentino and the Fila Brasileiro.  If you suspect a dog is illegal please contact the Dog Warden at your Local Authority. If the dog is also in an NCHA property, please let us know.

NCHA does not allow animals classed under the 1976 Dangerous Wild Animals Act to be kept as pets. Should you believe any such animals are being kept please contact NCHA in the first instance.

Dog Fouling

If this is happening on a regular basis and the owner is an NCHA tenant then report this to NCHA and also to the Dog Wardens at Environmental Health.  We can send out a letter to all tenants in the area reminding them to 'pick up' after their pet or if the behaviour continues arrange for a visit to talk to the owner.

If the pet owner is not an NCHA tenant we do not have any authority to contact them. You should contact your local council's Environmental Health Department.

Other animal issues that should be reported to NCHA

  • Excessive, or inappropriate numbers of animals being kept at an NCHA property.
  • Animals being kept in inappropriate conditions, for example in sheds or large dogs in flats.
  • Animal breeding. If you believe that animals are being bred for sale in an NCHA property, please contact NCHA.
  • Noise nuisance from animals in an NCHA property. The most common form of noise nuisance from animals is that of barking dogs but it could also be noise from poultry, caged birds, cats or any other animal kept domestically. If the property is not an NCHA property contact your local Environmental Health Department or if there is a welfare issue the RSPCA.